Re: [linux-audio-user] [OT] any Xemacs users here ?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] [OT] any Xemacs users here ?
From: Jack O'Quin (joq_AT_io.com)
Date: Tue Apr 22 2003 - 00:12:53 EEST

Dave,

I've used GNU emacs for about 20 years and xemacs for the last four or
five. They're both pretty similar, but I like xemacs better for use
with X.

It's the greatest program ever written, IMHO. :-)

Dave Phillips <dlphilp_AT_bright.net> writes:
> Well, I'm a complete beginner with any of it. For instance, I assume the
> Csound mode file is available from Bath, but after I have it how do I
> instruct emacs to use it ?

Here's a pointer that looks helpful...

  http://www.zogotounga.net/comp/csoundx.html

It seems to require emacs version 21 (see below).

> Btw, I have emacs 20.7.1 from an RH 7.2 installation and will probably
> just use it unless I figure out Xemacs. My first problem with Xemacs
> occurs when I press the File load button and receive an error message
> regarding a package named 'annotation' (?). Bad start. So I need extra
> packages for the GUI to function ? Or I'm missing what ?

That's a rather old version. My Debian woody distribution includes
xemacs 21.4.6-8, which is hardly recent. I'd recommened installing
xemacs version 21. I'm not a Red Hat user, but a quick google seems
to indicate that rpmfind has xemacs 21 packages for RH 7.2.

> Btw, maybe we should go off-list with this thread ?

Done.

--
  Jack O'Quin
  Austin, Texas, USA