Re: [linux-audio-user] Linux and hardware samplers

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Linux and hardware samplers
From: Brian Redfern (bredfern_AT_calarts.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 22 2003 - 03:03:30 EEST

Yeah, it all depnds upon the sampler itself, my asrx pro supports import
of .wav and it uses .aiff as its native audio sample format, so when I
sample into it, and then save them onto the zip disk, they're just a bunch
of .aiff files on a dos formatter zip disk, so I can open it up on any
machine with a zip drive and any linux editor that supports .aiff
format. I use audacity both under linux and macosx to do all my work, but
the fact that the asrxpro in particular supports open formats makes my
work a lot more productive than if I were using an asr x keyboard, which
has its own proprietary sample format (and thus patent issues, etc...), my
korg electribe s also supports .aiff import, so I just use my smart media
reader to write .aiff file onto its card, but frankly at this point I
actually do my best work within csound (though of course it takes longer
to get going with), so using csound and for more manual stuff, once I
have muse working right with my sblive card, I won't have a need for the
hardware anymore (except my midi keyboard/knob-bank controller).

http://www.brianredfern.org