Re: [linux-audio-user] Rebirth File Player

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Rebirth File Player
From: Guy Daniel CLOTILDE (guy.clotilde_AT_wanadoo.fr)
Date: Wed Apr 23 2003 - 09:53:38 EEST

On 22 Apr 2003 10:42:37 -0400
Nick Tsocanos <nicktsocanos_AT_charter.net> wrote / a écrit:

> I wish I had been able to get a copy of Reborn.
See your private mail.

> The new version I am working (not released yet) is a full ALSA client
> and will control other MIDI devices and drum machines. You just map the
> MIDI output to the device (using ALSA patch bay and configuee the
> patch/bank it will use).

sounds great!

> I wanted to make a full file player that would emulate Rebirth too.
> That is what I might not be able to do.
>
> I wonder if the guy who did Reborn could use his code to make just a
> file player so you could at least listen to Rebirth songs.

That will be great. With ReBorn, sometimes with the gui (blinking volume lights) the sound was bad (stutters) on my old P200. Strangely, this wasn't happening everytime. But if the windows was reduced, everything was fine. I believe that, for those sort of apps, the gui should be optional. X is great, but I found that non-X progs worked better and more reliable than others. More, I believe the real problem with ReBorn was the copyright on the gui, not the engine.
At the time, I wished I had a command-line player/sequencer/real-time sound modifier. I have looked for a competely keyboard-driven (ideally plus external midi keyboard) and techno-oriented music app. Soundtracker came close, but lots of new stuff are still in CVS and there are too much patches for me.

> I guess after all these years people still use Rebirth.
I for one liked it a lot when I was using Windows :)

Guy CLO~
#219055 http://counter.li.org
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/guy.clotilde/