Re: [linux-audio-user] Band in a Box

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Band in a Box
From: Guy Daniel CLOTILDE (guy.clotilde_AT_wanadoo.fr)
Date: Wed Apr 23 2003 - 10:14:06 EEST

> On 22 Apr 2003 16:53:23 -0400
> David Evans <dsevans_AT_berndtgroup.net> wrote:
>
> > One of my last excuses for having a windows box is BandInABox.

Man oh man! I was launching windows just for that during a lot of times.

> > Are there any linux programs that could approximate this?
> > All i need is the ability to type in a chord sequence,
> > then have it play that for me in a jazz/swing style.
> > Band in a Box of course does a hell of a lot more than that
> > but if i could get that much, i'd be happy.

I second. And Wine wasn't really helpful. To tell the truth, I have no luck with wine, even launching notepad.exe fails :((
I even tried launching an atari emulator. But I don't find anymore my old Band-in-the-Box atari diskettes 8P

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 23:31:48 +0200
Atte André Jensen <atte_AT_wanadoo.nl> wrote / a écrit:

> You might wanna check out http://rythmaidgui.sourceforge.net/. The last
> time I checked I couldn't get it working, maybe things are different now
> (or you're smarter than me). Please let us know how it turned out...

Neither was I able to make it work.
The abc2midi program (http://abc.sourceforge.net/abcMIDI/) has an interesting function: if you feed it with chords, it is able to give you a (very basic) piano playing (fundamental note, three/four notes chords, fundamental note, three/four notes chords, on each beat of the measure). Quite funny and interesting to have an idea of the music, but not suitable at all for personal technical rehearsals.

As I'm not a programmer, I apologize for throwing here what can be an out-of-reach or stupid idea. But I was thinking to myself that abc2midi could be a good start to make a command-line bbox.
Anyway I'm gonna try once again Ryth(M)aid and if I succeed I will give news here.

> --
> peace, love & harmony
> Atte

cheers all.