Re: [linux-audio-user] x-11

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] x-11
From: Daniel James (daniel_AT_mondodesigno.com)
Date: Wed Apr 23 2003 - 11:50:28 EEST

> Actually I think punk sounds better lo-fi

If your recordings sound too good, then you just come across as an idler with
a rich dad. Or like the Clash after they signed to CBS. No punk credibility,
either way.

> its a lot better than my old
> punk bands audio-cassette recordings from '91

We started out with a Fostex cassette 4 track, and the quality was easily
surpassed by the Turtle Beach Tropez+ and then the cheapo SB Live. The modern
digital multitrackers can do simple edits and effects, but they don't allow
you to load keyboard samples...

I figure budding musicians will be able to get access to a computer (even if
they don't own it) more easily than they could get hold of dedicated
recording equipment, even if the retail price for a computer is approximately
equivalent.

> you can do tricks like
> pre-process the vocals through something like a cheap second-hand kaoss
> pad.

We've got one outboard effects box for the guitarist (since you can't easily
change settings on our computer using your feet) but apart from that, we're
intending to do all processing with LADSPA plugins.

Cheers

Daniel