Re: [linux-audio-user] xruns vs. disk activity

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] xruns vs. disk activity
From: Alex Timmer (mijn_troep_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Apr 23 2003 - 22:56:42 EEST

hello Rob,

 --- rob fell <robin.fell_AT_ntlworld.com> wrote: > Hello all

> I'm trying to get a gentoo based audio box (primarily Ardour) off
> the ground. Despite my best efforts,
> I can't eliminate xruns to a level I could live with (10ms+ xruns
> every 2 minutes on average seems
> excessive - esp. with stereo @ 44k1). There's some captured data at
> the very end of this mail.
>
> My observations are made using;
> jackd -v -R -d... -r 44100 -p 128 2>&1 | tee jacklog (i.e. stereo
> SB16 @44k1)
> and ardour, session open but not actively playing
>
> I'll present my questions before wandering off into a tedious list
> (apologies for length) of stuff I've
> already done. Would anyone care to offer an opinion on these
> questions;
>
> 1. Am I expecting too much? Either from my hardware, or the current
> state of Linux.
> 2. Is there a vital piece of config that I've totally overlooked?
> 3. Is there a better way to measure this to home in on the source
> of the problem?
> 4. Are the xruns incidental to the disk activity - is this all a
> symptom of something else?
> 5. Insert any other question I should be asking here.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help/advice offered, I've run out of
> ideas.
>
> Ta

<SNIP>

> The hardware:
> Duron 1300MHz, Abit KT7A
> 512M PC133
> primary IDE: Seagate ST360021A, QUANTUM FIREBALLP AS40.0 (80 way
> ribbon)
> secondary IDE: CD/CDRW
> AGP graphics card
> SB16/128 PCI (i know - it's junk)
> 3Com PCI 3c905
>
> 0: 674864 XT-PIC timer
> 1: 7927 XT-PIC keyboard
> 2: 0 XT-PIC cascade
> 8: 2 XT-PIC rtc
> 9: 1166 XT-PIC Ensoniq AudioPCI
> 11: 21381 XT-PIC eth0
> 12: 94912 XT-PIC PS/2 Mouse
> 14: 13585 XT-PIC ide0
> 15: 9 XT-PIC ide1
> NMI: 0
> LOC: 674826
> ERR: 114
> MIS: 0

<SNIP>

looking at your IRQ's and the "priority list" at:

http://myweb.cableone.net/eviltwin69/Arcana.html#IRQs

i see that both your mouse (?!) and your network card seem to have
higher priority than your IDE channels (harddisks).
i would advice you to try without the network card and not to move
your mouse =)

and what Mark Knecht said about period size for the SB soundcards is
also slightly touched here: http://www.djcj.org/LAU/jack/
your 128 setting might be too small. did you try with 256 or 512?

and ofcourse... good luck.
ALEX

Yahoo! Plus
For a better Internet experience