[linux-audio-user] [OT} Good package for algebraic equations

Subject: [linux-audio-user] [OT} Good package for algebraic equations
From: Nick Tsocanos (nicktsocanos_AT_charter.net)
Date: Thu Apr 24 2003 - 00:50:20 EEST

Hi,
I am wondering if anyone knows of a good program that will solve
algebraic formulas symbolically. I was using Mathematica under Windows
to do this. I need something to solve the equations for bilinear
transform of filters to the digital domain. I can't (don't) have the
patience to work the algebra out by hand (it is not usually trivial,
with large powers of complicated polynomials).

I looked at Octal but it is just a mathematical programming language,
not a symbol solver. Is there any free software which can be programmed
to solve algebraic formulas (like Mathematica) available?