Re: [linux-audio-user] [OT} Good package for algebraic equations

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] [OT} Good package for algebraic equations
From: Ross Vandegrift (ross_AT_willow.seitz.com)
Date: Thu Apr 24 2003 - 04:09:29 EEST

On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 05:50:20PM -0400, Nick Tsocanos wrote:
> Hi,
> I am wondering if anyone knows of a good program that will solve
> algebraic formulas symbolically. I was using Mathematica under Windows
> to do this. I need something to solve the equations for bilinear
> transform of filters to the digital domain. I can't (don't) have the
> patience to work the algebra out by hand (it is not usually trivial,
> with large powers of complicated polynomials).

Definately Maxima is the only way to go. It's the LISP engine that
Maple and Mathematica are based on from MIT back in the day. It was
semi-recently freed and it's really sweet. It'll take some work (you
have to use clisp - the other LISPs are broken, and the GUI is a bit
clunkier than most), but it's quite nice.

http://maxima.sourceforge.net/

--
Ross Vandegrift
ross_AT_willow.seitz.com

A Pope has a Water Cannon. It is a Water Cannon. He fires Holy-Water from it. It is a Holy-Water Cannon. He Blesses it. It is a Holy Holy-Water Cannon. He Blesses the Hell out of it. It is a Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon. He has it pierced. It is a Holey Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon. He makes it official. It is a Canon Holey Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon. Batman and Robin arrive. He shoots them.