Re: [linux-audio-user] ALSA Modular question?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] ALSA Modular question?
From: Dr. Matthias Nagorni (mana_AT_suse.de)
Date: Thu Apr 24 2003 - 19:47:44 EEST

Yes, see http://alsamodular.sourceforge.net

> What do some of these things in the program do? I like this program alot
> so far, but I never played with a real Modular system, so I don't know
> much about making cool sounds with it. I made a cool wah-wah bass sound
> that I saved.

http://alsamodular.sourceforge.net/alsamodularsynth_doc.html
provides an introduction. Many modules are quite similiar to real
analogue modules of the Doepfer A-100 system. The manuals of the Doepfer
modules are online at http://www.doepfer.de/a100e.htm

See http://alsamodular.sourceforge.net/alsamodularsynth_doc.html#sect10

> How do use CVS? What do you put them into?

The CVS module creates constant control voltages. This is sometimes useful
to control other modules.

> Can you play it polyphonic? LADSPA says Create Poly, but I don't know
> what it does.

See http://alsamodular.sourceforge.net/alsamodularsynth_doc.html#sect05
about mono/poly LADSPA plugins. Dependend on your CPU power and the patch
size, ams can be played polyphonically. Use the --poly parameter when you
start ams.

> Where can I learn to make sounds with a modular synthesizer? I can make
There are several good books on that topic, but many of them are out of
print. Therefore I hope that my ams-documentation and the examples provide
a good starting point. Perhaps we should add more sample patches on the
ams project page.

Have fun !

Matthias

--