Re: [linux-audio-user] mplayer audio-out weirdness

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] mplayer audio-out weirdness
From: Anahata (anahata_AT_treewind.co.uk)
Date: Wed Apr 30 2003 - 15:35:24 EEST

On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 08:04:00AM -0400, Dave Phillips wrote:
> Recently I added a DVD drive to my system.
[snip]
>Here's where the weirdness starts: While fiddling around with things I
> discovered that I did in fact have audio. It's coming out of my SBLive,
> not my PCI128 ! Now how does that happen ?? The drive is physically
> connected to the PCI128, *not* the SBLive, yet the audio is indeed
> coming from the SBLive.
>
> Can someone explain how this is possible ? Do the cards share a codec,
> and does that matter ? Is DVD audio handled differently than CD audio ?

In short, yes (to the last question).

I strongly suspect that with DVD movies both audio and video data are
compressed (MPEG or whatever) data streams, fed into the host CPU for
decoding.

The analog audio output connector on the DVD drive will be there so you
can play audio CDs on it just like you can with a CDROM drive.

--
Anahata
anahata_AT_treewind.co.uk       Tel: 01638 720444