Re: [linux-audio-user] mplayer audio-out weirdness

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] mplayer audio-out weirdness
From: Michael Solberg (misha_AT_solberg.music.uga.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 30 2003 - 15:51:09 EEST

> Can someone explain how this is possible ? Do the cards share a codec,
> and does that matter ? Is DVD audio handled differently than CD audio ?
> I'm very happy with my new drive and with MPlayer, and I'm glad to have
> good sound, but what the hey ?!

I'm not sure if this is standard fare, but with my install of MPlayer, the
decoding of audio actually happens in the software and not in the
hardware. (Which is different than a CD player, which decodes audio
through the hardware - although I've seen software CD players in the
past.) I'd imagine that MPlayer just kicks the audio out the first
alsa device (if you're using the alsa output plugin). There might be some
way to make MPlayer do hardware audio stuff - I'm pretty sure that there
are ways to make it use a PCI mpeg decoder. I'd peek around the manpage
and the docs in the -ao section.

> Btw, MPlayer rocks, even under my "adverse" conditions, i.e., I
> compiled it with GCC 2.96 and am using an nVidia GForce2 video card. Ha,
> it all works great !

It, wget, and galeon are truly the most wonderful things about Linux, in
my little humble opinion.

Mike.