Re: [linux-audio-user] xruns: file system ext3 --> reiserfs?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] xruns: file system ext3 --> reiserfs?
From: Tarragon Allen (lists_AT_n12turbo.com)
Date: Fri May 02 2003 - 02:56:22 EEST

On Fri, 2 May 2003 08:53 am, derek holzer wrote:
> if my main partition is /dev/hda2, and i am working from another
> [temporary] root file system in /dev/hda6, how can i back up /dev/hda2
> to /dev/hda7 and put it back again after doing the ext3-->reiserfs
> conversion WITHOUT transferring back over the old file system? i tried
> dd if=/dev/hda2 of=/dev/hda7, but when i mounted /dev/hda7, it was
> turned into an ext3 filesystem, although i had already made it reiserfs.
> i assume that means if i changed dev/hda2 to reiserfs and moved the
> backup copy there again, it would be ext3 all over again. i tried a few
> things with cpio that didn't work, and i am not sure i have the syntax
> right with tar. can someone please help me out here?

Something like this?

mkdir /mnt/part1
mkdir /mnt/part2
mount -t ext3 /dev/hda2 /mnt/part1
mount -t ext3 /dev/hda7 /mnt/part2
cp -av /mnt/part1 /mnt/part2
[copious output]
umount /mnt/part1
mkreiserfs /dev/hda2
mount -t reiserfs /dev/hda2 /mnt/part2 -o noatime,notail
cp -av /mnt/part2 /mnt/part1
[copious output]
umount /mnt/part1
umount /mnt/part2
rmdir /mnt/part1
rmdir /mnt/part2
vi /etc/fstab
reboot

With my own system, I have seperate partitions for /home, /tmp, /usr, /var,
/boot, and /, all previously in ext3. I changed fstab to mount these all as
ext2 instead, and converted my /home to reiserfs using the process above (or
close to). Ardour runs much nicer now.

GPG : http://n12turbo.com/tarragon/public.key