Re: [linux-audio-user] xruns: file system ext3 --> reiserfs?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] xruns: file system ext3 --> reiserfs?
From: Tarragon Allen (lists_AT_n12turbo.com)
Date: Fri May 02 2003 - 18:15:40 EEST

On Sat, 3 May 2003 12:06 am, Mark Knecht wrote:
> > dear list,
> >
> > i'm running Debian kernel version 2.4.20 with ext3 an an Asus L3 laptop
> > with a Hammerfall HDSP, and my xruns using Jack are frequent and nasty!
> > i would say in the nieghborhood of every 10-20 seconds, i get an xrun of
> > 10-200 ms.
>
> <SNIP>
> Various emails about converting to reiserfs...
> <SNIP>
>
> If the idea here is that the xruns are caused by the ext3 journaling
> operations, wouldn't a simple test be to mount the ext3 partition as ext2
> and prove it before doing all the work to move to reiserfs only to find out
> it's something else? Or possibly change the journaling commit time to
> reduce or increase the xruns?
>
> Maybe it's too late for that. Sorry...

I think it was more to do with outright lockups using the ext3 code, rather
than xruns. Yes, switching to ext2 is a good way to test if ext3 is at fault
(I did this, and yes it was). I'm using reiserfs as a workaround (I'd prefer
to have any journalling on my larger filesystems than none at all), although
from what I've read reiserfs might be better suited to audio applications
anyway.

GPG : http://n12turbo.com/tarragon/public.key