Re: [linux-audio-user] xruns: file system ext3 --> reiserfs?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] xruns: file system ext3 --> reiserfs?
From: Tarragon Allen (lists_AT_n12turbo.com)
Date: Sat May 03 2003 - 09:45:18 EEST

On Sat, 3 May 2003 04:50 am, derek holzer wrote:
> so i changed the fs of my root partition from ext3 to ext2 in the
> /etc/fstab and rebooted. guess what? it still mounted as ext3! why is
> that?!?

The kernel needs to mount the root filesystem before it can read /etc/fstab,
which means it needs to rely on the filesystem flags to determine what type
of filesystem it is. You need to tell that partition that it doesn't have a
journal, which in effect makes it ext2. This command should do it:

tune2fs -O ^has_journal /dev/hda2

(using the correct partition, of course). However, to make things really
tricky, this can only be done on a filesystem that is umounted or read-only.
I think you mentioned you were running out of a temporary root? You might
need to use this, or boot off a rescue CD or something. On some
distributions, booting into single user mode can also lead to a ro root
filesystem, but I haven't seen that in a while.

GPG : http://n12turbo.com/tarragon/public.key