Re: [linux-audio-user] The sound dropout problem

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] The sound dropout problem
From: Guy Clotilde (guy.clotilde_AT_wanadoo.fr)
Date: Sat May 17 2003 - 22:52:08 EEST

Hi

On Sat, 17 May 2003 08:50:33 -0700, toby_AT_tobiah.org wrote / a écrit:

> Also, are there any suggestions as to how to conveniently
> make sure that all processes that use the sound driver
> run at the higher priority? If 'nice' is to be used,
> what is the best way... Shall I run them as root using
> nice, or is there another way to automatically cause them
> to be -nice, perhaps even when run by normal users?

reading your post gave me an (not so good) idea to solve this problem I encountered too.
as root, I did a:
        chmod +s /bin/nice
so that nice can be launched by anybody, even if he is non-root.
But if I try to launch alsaplayer (with gtk interface) like this:
        nice -n-5 alsaplayer
my redhat 8.0 + planet ccrma packages says:

------
Gtk-WARNING **: This process is currently running setuid or setgid.
This is not a supported use of GTK+. You must create a helper
program instead. For further details, see:

http://www.gtk.org/setuid.html

Refusing to initialize GTK+
------

and the same for a kde app:
        nice -n-5 rosegarden
gives this answer:

-----
The KDE libraries are not designed to run with suid privileges.
-----

But an app that is not linked with gtk or kde works:
        nice -n-5 nedit
launches nedit and then gnome-system-monitor confirms that nedit runs with a nice value of -5 .

Then, the idea is, as root, to do:
        mv /usr/bin/nedit /usr/bin/nedit.real
and to make a new file called nedit, executable, with the text:
        nice -5 nedit.real
and to put it in /usr/bin so the next time I launch nedit as a user, the real nedit will be launched with -5 nice value.

So obviously it can be done, but gtk and kde don't like it :(
gtk is suggesting that I should (ah yeah) create a helper instead, but the link (http://www.gtk.org/setuid.html) didn't help me alot.

I'm trying something with renice, that is working very well. But I'm not a programmer, I don't know how to make a bash file with renice and pidof. I'm digging deeper.

But if someone is enlightened and willing/has the time to help, please do :-)

cheers
GuyCLO~
#219055 http://counter.li.org
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/guy.clotilde/index.html