RE: [linux-audio-user] Frustrated, small review on sequencers :(

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-user] Frustrated, small review on sequencers :(
From: Mark Knecht (mknecht_AT_controlnet.com)
Date: Mon May 19 2003 - 16:46:45 EEST

> > So I propose something, i dont know if anyone
> > writes professional music with these.
> > Does anyone use such programs at all
> > Could you post project files for these,
> > and would you like to explain in brief
> > how do you use them efficiently?
>
> I remember Mark Knecht composing in RG.
> Any comments, Mark? :-)

I wouldn't call my music 'professional' in any sense of the word! ;-)

Anything I say here is based on RG a couple of months ago...

I understand Juan's frustrations. Of the programs mentioned here, my choice
is far and away RG, but like Juan, I've suffered through a number of
stability problems. I don't think they're all RG, actually. A number of them
are likely Alsa or the driver for my HDSP 9652 which no longer even works.
(Talk about a bad choice of hardware for Linux. It works, then it dies, then
4 months go by with no ability to do anything. Choose your hardware and
those who support it with great care!) ((P.S. - Patrick Shirkey clear,
loudly and forcefully told me this before I bought. I didn't listen, so it's
clearly my $500 mistake!!))

Rosegarden has a number of very important things going for it, most
certainly a good *GROUP* of developers who really seem to trade off ideas.
The overall MIDI implementation is already better than my Pro Tools rig, but
that said, it isn't (or wasn't) quite stable enough for me to depend on day
in and out. At the time I stopped using it I found it's model for talking to
MIDI devices quite confusing, but my MIDI devices are not your standard GM
or stand-alone synths. (I.e. - I'm a bit *odd* using things like GigaStudio
and soft synths.) ;-)

I had a lot of hardware troubles with recording audio under RG. At the time
it only recorded a single channel of audio at a time which was a big
limitation for me. I also suffered hard crashes and what not. This may have
been a driver problem as no one else reported this problems.

There was no audio mixer at the time, although I know that Rich has doing
one in mind, so you couldn't do much (any?) automation of volume and
panning.

RG continues to be the one and only main Linux studio audio application I
keep my eyes on regularly. I think it will develop into a very useful tool.