Re: [Jackit-devel] Re: [linux-audio-user] low latency

Subject: Re: [Jackit-devel] Re: [linux-audio-user] low latency
From: Patrick Shirkey (pshirkey_AT_boosthardware.com)
Date: Mon May 19 2003 - 21:20:47 EEST

Patrick Shirkey wrote:

Sorry I missed the refernce to lockup in the previous note. It should be
replaced with "xruns".

> So this is the revised version. Antti - could you add this to the jack
> FAQ and I will link to it in the low latency howto.
>

> To reduce the audio buffer overruns while using JACK under certain
> conditions. It has been found that mounting /tmp/jack as tmpfs (in RAM)
> solves the problems that many people have experienced with LOCKUPS << here
> while using JACK.The solutions mentioned above (and below) help when
> your /tmp directory is mounted on a journalled filesystem.
>
> Just put this in your /etc/fstab
>
> none /tmp/jack tmpfs defaults 0 0
>
> There is also a compile option to enable JACK to place its FIFOs on a
> ram-based filesystem follows:
> # mkdir /mnt/ramfs
>
> [edit /etc/fstab and add the following line]
> none /mnt/ramfs tmpfs defaults 0 0
>
> Then use --with-default-tmpdir=/mnt/ramfs to the JACK configure
> line when you build it. No clients need to be recompiled.

Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
http://www.boosthardware.com
http://www.djcj.org - The Linux Audio Users guide

Being on stage with the band in front of crowds shouting, "Get off! No! We want normal music!", I think that was more like acting than anything I've ever done.

Goldie, 8 Nov, 2002 The Scotsman