Re: [linux-audio-user] USB Quattro and Jack questions

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] USB Quattro and Jack questions
From: Patrick Shirkey (pshirkey_AT_boosthardware.com)
Date: Tue May 27 2003 - 22:49:56 EEST

Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
>
>>> Another thing about the quattro is that even the windows drivers will
>>> not allow you to record and playback on all 4 channels at one time.
>>>
>>> You can use
>>>
>>> 4 in, 2 out 48khz 24 bit
>>> 2 in, 4 out
>>> 2 in, 2 out 94 khz 24 bit
>>>
>>> I think I am running up against this with my latest attempts. It may be
>>> that the quattro cannot do all 8 channels because of a hardware switch
>>> maybe for power consumption or something. They do run awfully hot and I
>>> can imagine that it would be possible to melt something if their is too
>>> much power running through them.
>>>

>> USB 1.0/1.1 is built on a 12Mb/Sec physical layer.
>>
>> 96000 * 24-bits * 4-channels = 9.216Mb/S if I did the calculations
>> correctly.
>

> that should be divided by three to get bytes as there are 8 bits in
> every byte the quattro uses 24 with 3 periods (not packed in four like
> other cards).
>
> 24 * 3 bytes * 48000 = 3072000 bytes
> => 3072 Kb
> => 3.072 Mb/S

Doh,

96000 * 3 * 24 = what Tobiah said. Better to read his explanation than
mine as mine was still a bit confused.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
http://www.boosthardware.com

Being on stage with the band in front of crowds shouting, "Get off! No! We want normal music!", I think that was more like acting than anything I've ever done.

Goldie, 8 Nov, 2002 The Scotsman