Re: [linux-audio-user] command-line recording software?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] command-line recording software?
From: Tim (helycos_AT_lycos.co.uk)
Date: Thu Jun 05 2003 - 01:21:43 EEST

Kai Vehmanen wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Jun 2003, Tim wrote:
>

>>1. Distortion results when recording from some sources but not others
>
> [...]
>
>>command line of rec doesn't alter this distortion. I've attached the
>>ecasound -ev output
>

> The input signal seems to be severely clipped. Try running 'ecasignalview'
> (comes with the ecasound package) and adjust the recording level (either
> from source and/or with 'alsamixer' or other mixer sw) until the
> 'clipped-samples' counter stops increasing

Please forgive me Kai, I don't know if I'm being ignorant but...

$ ecasignalview /dev/dsp1

Caught an unknown exception

$ ecasignalview testfile.wav

gives correct output.

I'm using OSS (as I'm still with a 2.4.18 kernel), and will use aumix
for your suggestion once I know how to access /dev/dsp1. As I'm using
line out from the source, I will not be able to alter the volume at that
end.

Thanks loads for helping. And producing that app in the first place!

Tim