[linux-audio-user] looping music that i play

Subject: [linux-audio-user] looping music that i play
From: Peter Jay Salzman (p_AT_dirac.org)
Date: Sat Jun 07 2003 - 04:17:56 EEST

hi all,

i'd like to:

* record a single chorus of "girl from ipanema" on my accoustic guitar.

* play it endlessly in a loop while i practise jazz improvisation.

* it would be nice for my computer to provide a metronome while i play
   (and record that metronome over my recording), but that's not necessary
   since i can use a real metronome and have it play in the background.

i went to dave phillip's site, and found a staggering number of
recorders and players.

can someone suggest a nice easy to use set of tools to do this with?

as a first stab, i tried sound-recorder, but when i play the resulting
wav file with wavp, wavp exits immediately. when i try to play the
resulting wav file with "play", it complains about premature end of a
wav file.

i assume thousands of linux using musicians are doing exactly what i
want to do. what are some good tools that i should look at?

looking for ease of use rather than features, at least for now.

thanks!
pete