Re: [linux-audio-user] speech to text software?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] speech to text software?
From: Patrick Shirkey (pshirkey_AT_boosthardware.com)
Date: Mon Jun 16 2003 - 01:39:18 EEST

iriXx wrote:
> thanks... i am very interested in this now... as my regular work is
> writing articles to campaign for digital rights and against DRM this
> connects with accessibility issues... i only wish i had the programming
> skills to get on board and help for GNU/Linux... i guess i can help with
> advocacy though. theres nothing like being forced into a positioin like
> this to make you wake up and see what its like every day for some
> people....

It's one of my pet interests but the problem is you have to be a *very*
clever person to make this stuff work. If you think ardour has taken a
long time to build combine that level of mind work with very advanced
and tricky algorithmic math better reserved for people with long beards,
bald heads, tie dyed shirts and bare feet.

I have a book on the topic:

Speech and audio signal processing by Gold Morgan

It gives a very thorough overview of the problems faced and the
potential payoff of making software that works well.

I've often wondered why there isn't more discussion about this in the
LAD community and figure it comes down to very few people have the
skills/knowledge base to do the coding.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
http://www.boosthardware.com

Being on stage with the band in front of crowds shouting, "Get off! No! We want normal music!", I think that was more like acting than anything I've ever done.

Goldie, 8 Nov, 2002 The Scotsman