Re: [linux-audio-user] Mastering; Rezound, fir filter, digital clipping

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Mastering; Rezound, fir filter, digital clipping
From: Daniel James (daniel_AT_mondodesigno.com)
Date: Mon Jun 16 2003 - 14:57:09 EEST

> JAMin cant currently run without jack, the i/o + processing code is
> very complicated and making it work for i/o systems in addition to
> JACK would make it even worse.

Fair enough.

> you can link jamin to your ardour (or insert name
> of favourite multitrack editor) session and make individual level
> changes to source tracks, rather than messing with EQ in the
> mastering stage. Several of us think this is the Right ThingTM and
> should be encoruaged.

I understood (eg, from the interview with Chris Gehringer of Sterling
Sound in June 2003 SoS) that mastering engineers didn't actually like
working on projects which aren't mixed down. It seems to me that what
you're describing is remixing rather than mastering.

Surely if you're going to EQ or otherwise filter individual tracks,
this should be well out of the way before mastering commences? LADSPA
already makes this possible, with a fine collection of plugins. But
maybe JAMin is one of those new paradigm things...

> jamin may grow the ability to write files out OTOH, for when you
> dont want to suck it back into your multitrack, and I think the
> eventual idea is to make loading a simple wav file via a jack file
> player pretty transparent.

Presumably if the mastering plugins are all LADSPA based they might be
available to all LADSPA clients eventually? Looking at Glame 1.0,
this could be a particularly suitable platform because it allows you
to build LADSPA filter networks in a drag and drop gui, and also
offers file analysis on import and various options for normalisation.

Cheers

Daniel