Re: [linux-audio-user] Mastering; Rezound, fir filter, digital clipping

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Mastering; Rezound, fir filter, digital clipping
From: Paul Winkler (pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com)
Date: Mon Jun 16 2003 - 16:02:23 EEST

On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 02:04:41AM -0700, R Parker wrote:
> I've noticed that audio mastering is a mystery to many
> musicians and engineers. If using a well designed
> tool, the mystery will evaporate. And yes, that is
> contrary to what most of us have heard during our
> careers but I stand by the claims that A, mastering is
> easy and B, digital audio mastering produces great
> results.

I would agree if you mean that mastering is *technically*
easy (given appropriate tools). But it is a skill
that is learned over time. In my mind, a big part of it
is an ability to simultaneously see both the forest and the
trees very clearly.

Also, don't overlook the advantages of bringing in an
experienced ear who has not been listening to the project
for weeks nonstop. An outsider can immediately spot problems
that you've long become accustomed to and don't even notice.

--

Paul Winkler http://www.slinkp.com Look! Up in the sky! It's THE <I>N</I> + 1 DRONE! (random hero from isometric.spaceninja.com)