[linux-audio-user] Re: [MusE] Re: Syncing muse with ardour

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Re: [MusE] Re: Syncing muse with ardour
From: Martin Buechler (martin.buechler_AT_vrweb.de)
Date: Fri Jun 20 2003 - 01:16:58 EEST

Hi ,

> I have also been testing sync scenarios with Ardour (CVS 14 June) +
> various apps. I've had success only with Hydrogen. I worked with MusE

hydrogen seems to understand only noteon/off, aka works as soft synth.
That is what I could achieve so far in combination with muse. I never
got control over hydrogen's transport :(

> (0.6.0pre5) for a while last night, nothing budged. I *thought* I had
> all connections designated: Ardour was set up for Send MTC and Send MMC,
> and MusE was set for external sync, recognizing MTC and MIDI clock. The
> Ardour sync output is the first virmidi port, so I used kaconnect to
> route virmidi 0 to MusE. The MusE console reports MMC stop and seek
> position signals for the Ardour playhead, but no start signal (should
> it?). Like I said, I got no sync joy. Audio is off in MusE, btw. Maybe
> I'm missing something obvious ??

Exactly the same with my setup, see below...

> I'm interested in learning about any successful sync arrangements, with
> or without external gear. What apps work well (or even sort of well)
> together via MMC, MTC, SMPTE, MIDI clock, or... ??

Ok, the other way around works 'sort of well'... Muse is able to mmc
ardour!
Here some pre-requisites, that I just found out:
1. Works only with newly created ardour sessions(1.0beta1-c), otherwise
clicking 'MMC Control' in ardour's options checkbox crashes ardour
2. ~/.ardour.rc uses a raw virtual midi interface provided by
snd-virmidi. BTW, why doesn't ardour appear as send/receive midi
interface in kaconnect?
3. the *same* virtual midi interface is configured as MIDI port in muse,
and is configured under MIDI Sync as Master-MMC O-Port.

Though, transport is not reliably connected. Sometimes ardour seems to
ignore the MMC sent by muse.

Regards

Martin