[linux-audio-user] recording multiple input audio streams

Subject: [linux-audio-user] recording multiple input audio streams
From: Hirendra Hindocha (hiren_hindocha_AT_attbi.com)
Date: Fri Jun 20 2003 - 01:12:34 EEST

Hi,

I'm looking for solution where we can record multiple input
streams of audio to individual files which can then be processed
by other programs on Linux. I've searched the ecasound list and
also the archive of this list.

The best I could find was a similar requirement by someone
using a Delta 1010 card. One of the solutions that was proferred
was to use the JACK audio server.

Is it possible to connect multiple input streams of audio (think
multiple phones or line-in from multiple VCRs or any audio
device) and individually record the streams as a digital file ?
For example - 911 calls , or financial transaction calls etc
I'm looking for a Linux based solution that can do that -
Ideal would be -

a. Well Supported card that has multiple line-in ( so if I want
to record 8/16 audio inputs, it should have 8/16 line-in sockets)
b. Software to record the line-in audio
c. Software to encode it

if b & c can be combined to record and encode like ecasound, it
would be perfect.

I asked around on the ecasound list and was directed to this
list. We're not looking to do any mixing or sound editing.
Our requirements are very simple. Ecasound works very well
for us when using one sound card. We now need to scale this
solution so that we can record the equivalent of 8/12/16 sound
cards each having an instance of ecasound recording and encoding.

A similar solution on the Windows platform seems to be
http://www.dictaphone.com/products/freedom/freedomps/

Any help is highly appreciated,

--
Hiren