[linux-audio-user] MusE/Jack Installation

New Message Reply About this list Date view Thread view Subject view Author view Other groups

Subject: [linux-audio-user] MusE/Jack Installation
From: BartonBosch_AT_aol.com
Date: Tue Jun 24 2003 - 01:10:13 EEST

I am trying to install MusE, which means installing Jack as well.

The first issue that I have run into is that MusE requires glibc 2.3.1 or better to compile. My RH 8.0 has glibc 2.2.93-5. Will updating to 2.3.1 cause my previously installed binaries (i.e., the entire system) to stop working? Or is 2.3.1 backwardlycompatible with 2.2.93-5? Or can you have both libraries on one system simultaneously? In other words, what are the ramifications of updating glibc?

Then there are the same considerations for updating qt 3.0.5-17 to 3.1.0 or better, except that it is my impression that qt is much less central than glibc. Would anything (everything?) need to be recompiled with this new version of qt?

Another issue relevant to both of the above is the question of RPM vs source installation. There are i386 +/or i686 RPMs for both qt and glibc on the Red Hat site. Any suggestions as to whether I should install from source or from those RPMs? Which of the RPMs would be better to install on a Celeron 300A?

Finally, in preparing to install MusE I installed fluidsynth and
libsndfile. Fluidsynth seemed to go without a hitch (tho I haven't used it yet) but libsndfile's configuration summary suggested that I add /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH variable because other programs compiled against libsndfile might need it.

Sure enough, when <./configure>ing jack, it couldn't find sndfile.pc, and while <make>ing jack, it exited with an error. I tried:

env $PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig

and it listed all the env variables with the appropriate entry appended. Thinking that everything was set, I tried to re<./configure> and <make> jack, but it exited with the same error. Double checking with <env> showed that the new entry had disappeared. I double checked this, and every time I set the variable with env, it lists it once, then it disappears on further <env>s.

Anyone know what is going on here?

Thanks,

Barton

P.S. I tried a different way to send mail. This is supposed to send text without all the redundant html coding. Is it any better?

This archive was generated by hypermail 2b28 : Tue Jun 24 2003 - 01:23:27 EEST