Re: [linux-audio-user] New powermacs?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] New powermacs?
From: Dave Griffiths (dave_AT_pawfal.org)
Date: Tue Jun 24 2003 - 17:46:48 EEST

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 17:51:22 +0400, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote
> On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 18:24:17 -0700 (PDT)
> Brian Redfern <bredfern_AT_calarts.edu> wrote:
>
> > The problem I had with osx was that there wasn't enough good audio
> > freeware. Pd works well, and so does csound and soundhack, but I
> > use a lot of midi and find the lack of a free app like muse or
> > rosegarden4 is not so nice, given logic audio costs $750.
>
> I don't know for alsa, but JACK is in alpha/beta stage of being
> ported to MacOS X. And in MusE you can switch to JACK...
>
> Can't say for Rosegarden -- it depends on KDE and it's not that easy
> to compile KDE for Mac OS X AFAIK. Though I'd like to see RG on Mac
> OS X very much too....

Michel Pollet ported SpiralSynth Modular to OSX a while ago, I'm not certain
about it's current status (not owning a mac) but I've seen a screenshot of it
in action.

Most fltk apps should work well, and once Jack gets ported it should be pretty
much just a recompile. Most of the problems I was aware of were a couple of
globals in the plugin api conflicting with apple's.

dave