Re: [linux-audio-user] Cactus Data Shield copy controlled cd's

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Cactus Data Shield copy controlled cd's
From: Anahata (anahata_AT_treewind.co.uk)
Date: Wed Jul 02 2003 - 19:38:54 EEST

On Wed, Jul 02, 2003 at 04:43:23PM +0100, Daniel James wrote:

> Since I wrote that article, an interesting example came my way -
> apparently, radio stations that use PC based playlist systems just
> throw Cactus discs in the bin. If it won't rip at full quality - it
> can't get played on air.

Ouch! That should hit the jerks where it hurts.

Anyway, I can't see what's to stop a pirate duplicator playing the copy
protected CD in a good player (with error correction or interpolation,
or whatever these things rely on) and re-digitising it and running their
pirate copies from that, if that's what they really want to do. In
otherwords a good old fashioned analog copy. The music merchants
obviously aren't bothered about ultimate quality, are they? Neither are
the MP3 swappers.

Like an earlier poster, I am opposed to copy protection but also opposed
to theft of music that's supposed to be for sale. I see no paradox here.
I assume there are many music makers (as opposed to just consumers) on
this list who are on the side of the music producers while at the same
time (being Linux users) appreciating the absence of restrictive
practices or sales contracts.

--
Anahata
anahata_AT_treewind.co.uk -+- http://www.treewind.co.uk