Re: [linux-audio-user] Cactus Data Shield copy controlled cd's

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Cactus Data Shield copy controlled cd's
From: Jan Depner (eviltwin69_AT_cableone.net)
Date: Thu Jul 03 2003 - 00:06:30 EEST

        Just had to put my 2 cents in here. So, I go and buy the CD - it won't
rip or play on my computer - I slap it in my decent CD player (with
analog outs to my DSP2000) - I record it at 16/44.1 - I encode it in ogg
- I post that on the web somewhere. Now, question for the student, how
much worse is my ogg copy than a ripped and encoded ogg copy? If you're
willing to settle for mp3 then this is just as acceptable and it can't
be stopped. From what I gather from most of my reading up on sound
cards, most of them go from digital to analog and then back when you rip
anyway. Is the connection from your cd player to your sound card
digital? It is on my system but I don't think it is on most of the
cheaper ones.

        All this type of copy protection does is to give you a crappy CD to
start with. Your best bet is to write a long lovely fan letter to the
band telling them that you won't buy anymore garbage - especially not at
US $17.99.

        BTW, the above was just an example. I agree with Mark K. I don't
download any music that isn't free and legal.

Jan