Re: [linux-audio-user] Cactus Data Shield copy controlled cd's

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Cactus Data Shield copy controlled cd's
From: Paul Winkler (pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com)
Date: Thu Jul 03 2003 - 22:40:22 EEST

On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 09:21:28AM +0100, Daniel James wrote:
> > Most of the
> > older stuff has just been forgotten.
>
> This might explain why so much music around in the UK at the moment is
> derivative. If you know your music (either because like me, you own a
> turntable and have lots of old vinyl, or because like everyone else I
> know, you use Kazaa a lot) you can pinpoint the exact source of a
> riff, or a vocal. Not samples, but pale imitations. I guess most
> people can't, otherwise they'd be buying the original instead.

Heh. I've been very disappointed by the two most recent "new sound
emerging from the underground" phenomena here in the US. There
was "electroclash", from my hometown of Brooklyn, which was touted as a
new synthesis of dance music and punk but when I finally heard it was
indistinguishable from early depeche mode / new order / etc.
Then there's the neo-garage-punk thing - White Stripes, Hives etc. -
it's OK I guess, but I swear I've heard it all before. Stooges, anyone?

I just picked up the reissue of Essential Logic on the Kill Rock Stars
label. Brilliant stuff mostly from 1978-1982, contemporaneous with
Gang of Four and the Raincoats; and nobody's done anything like it since.
I keep wondering - where are the modern-day counterparts to these people?

--

Paul Winkler http://www.slinkp.com Look! Up in the sky! It's ENERGY PERFORMANCE ARTIST ENCEPHALOPATHY! (random hero from isometric.spaceninja.com)