Re: [linux-audio-user] region coding sucks, but Linux rocks !

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] region coding sucks, but Linux rocks !
From: Nÿco (Nicolas)
Date: Wed Jul 16 2003 - 11:14:48 EEST

Le mar 15/07/2003 à 22:48, rob fell a écrit :

> IIRC Italy uses *two* formats, both flavours of PAL. I don't know about
> interoperability between the two formats.

You may be speaking about the specifically french SECAM standard,
which is different from PAL only in the colour coding.

If you watch a SECAM tape on a PAL TV+VCR,
there will be no problem.

If you watch a PAL tape on a SECAM TV+VCR,
you will see the whole thing with full images and sound quality,
except it will be black and white ! ;-)

SECAM is more and more abandoned as it is (was ?) french only.

NTSC shows 30 images per second,
PAL an SECAM only 25, but more lines are displayed on TV.

More and more european TVs and VCRs are NTSC compatible.

Nÿco