Re: [linux-audio-user] region coding sucks, but Linux rocks !

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] region coding sucks, but Linux rocks !
From: Hartmut Z Noack (symposion_AT_onlinehome.de)
Date: Thu Jul 17 2003 - 07:57:51 EEST

Am Die, 2003-07-15 um 19.55 schrieb Dave Phillips:
> How does it happen that my Linux players recognize these discs with
> no trouble ?

Iguess it is because Linuxplayers treat the Data on the DVD as simple
MPEG-Streams, pass them trough libdecss and thus play the output
File-by-File (That is: ignoring the meta-files that set the region Code
etc.)
Xine does so at least, if you point it to the VOB-File on the Disk, it
plays them (without allowing to change Audio/Subs though...)

> Would a Windows or Mac player do as well ?

Some Win32-Player will, at least if they are ahmmm.... tuned.
I used to play DVD on Win using PowerDVD - this one can do a lot of
things, that are surely not intended by the Entertainment Industry...

> The VHS tape is still a problem. Our player doesn't seem to like it,
> no picture appears but we can hear the audio moving along at something
> like twice normal speed. Can anyone tell me what's up with that and if
> there's some way to fix it ? TIA !

This ist mechanics - i propose not to mess with that, you can have a
TopNotch PAL-Enabeled Hifi-Stereo VHS Player for as little as 150,-
EUR/USD at Ebay ;-)