Re: [linux-audio-user] ZynAddSubFX 1.4.2 released

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] ZynAddSubFX 1.4.2 released
From: Frank Barknecht (fbar_AT_footils.org)
Date: Fri Jul 18 2003 - 20:19:45 EEST

Hallo,
Daniel James hat gesagt: // Daniel James wrote:

> Actually, I saw that statement on the ZynAddSubFX site and assumed it
> was an extra clause in addition to the GPL. As Paul owns the
> copyright (which I assume he does) he's entitled to add any extra
> licence restrictions he likes to his own software, as a 'GPL plus'.

No, he cannot write a GPL plus this way. The GPL (2) says:

  Activities other than copying, distribution and modification are not
  covered by this License; they are outside its scope. The act of
  running the Program is not restricted, and the output from the
  Program is covered only if its contents constitute a work based on
  the Program (independent of having been made by running the
  Program). Whether that is true depends on what the Program does.

So the act of using the software isn't an issue covered by the GPL.

> That might mean it's not strictly 'software libre' of course, but Paul
> does say 'please' rather than 'you may not use' though.

Yes, that's an important observation. As a lot of (christian)
theologists for hundreds of years and even today have very different
meanings about "what is against god" this statement can never be
considered anything else but an opinion and a wish (or a joke, but
that doesn't belong here).

BTW: I think that demo1.ogg of ZynAdd sounds very New-Age-ish in my
ears. ;)

ciao