Re: [linux-audio-user] Newcomer to the list

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Newcomer to the list
From: Levi Burton (ldb_AT_puresimplicity.net)
Date: Tue Jul 22 2003 - 11:45:50 EEST

On Tuesday 22 July 2003 02:48 am, Anahata wrote:
[...]
> Is there a significant difference between having (a) the audio editing
> program or (b) the memory manager decide what to keep in physical memory
> and what to swap to disk?

Well, unless I am mistaken, a user with normal privileges (non-root) cannot
disable paging of memory (using mlock() stuff). So, im not exactly sure what
sweep does to gaurantee it is only using physical memory, if that is indeed
what it is doing. Perhaps the sweep author can shed some light on what is
going on.

So yes, as a root user there is definitly a significant difference in how
memory is managed if the program utilizes the mlock() system call. It is
garaunteed a range of memory will not be swapped out to disk.

As a non-root user, I do not believe there is anyway to know what is currently
swapped to disk and what is not, so the question you ask then becomes moot.

If I am mistaken im sure someone will point it out =)

--
Levi Burton
http://www.puresimplicity.net/~ldb/