Re: [linux-audio-user] Newcomer to the list

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Newcomer to the list
From: Daniel James (daniel_AT_mondodesigno.com)
Date: Tue Jul 22 2003 - 12:14:21 EEST

> Sweep has a great interface, but it still has one significant
> downside: all the audio is loaded into memory. This prevents
> the effective editing of large soundfiles or sessions unless you
> have a ton of memory (or it will swap all over you).

I wouldn't regard this as a downside - it's just a consequence of the
in-RAM design. Sweep and Audacity (which is a hard disk recorder)
complement each other very well.

You wouldn't use Audacity for real-time scratching effects, or
scrubbing through a file to find an edit point by ear. You wouldn't
use Sweep for recording four channels of 32-bit float audio for half
an hour or longer. But I've done these things with the other program,
with great sucess.

A killer feature of free software is that you don't have to choose a
single proprietary 'solution', which will usually be a design
compromise - you get to use both Sweep and Audacity, and many other
programs, depending on what you need at that moment.

Cheers

Daniel