Re: [linux-audio-user] Newcomer to the list

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Newcomer to the list
From: Jesse Chappell (jesse_AT_essej.net)
Date: Tue Jul 22 2003 - 06:38:08 EEST

> Here is where I _highley_ recommend the program 'sweep'. No offense to the
> authors of audacity, but I just find it to be a very clunky program to use.
> Sweep is very very similar to the program 'soundforge' on win32. It has
> recently been jackified thanks to Torbin Hohn (thanks Torbin!). You have to
> download his patches to sweep which you can find on the linux-audio-dev
> mailing list. Anyway, here is the link to sweep:

Sweep has a great interface, but it still has one significant
downside: all the audio is loaded into memory. This prevents
the effective editing of large soundfiles or sessions unless you
have a ton of memory (or it will swap all over you). For smaller
files, like a single stereo song, it works great.

jlc