Re: [linux-audio-user] csound: Can it actually be compiled?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] csound: Can it actually be compiled?
From: luis jure (ljure_AT_multitel.com.uy)
Date: Sat Jul 26 2003 - 17:14:26 EEST

el Thu, 24 Jul 2003 16:39:26 -0400
"S. Massy" <smassy_AT_sympatico.ca> escribió:

> I've been trying to compile csound on and off for the past two years and
> was never really successful:

hello,

csound used to be fairly easy to compile, but that was long time ago. it's
true that compiling canonical csound has been problematic lately. my
experience in the last 2 years has been:

1) for some time i used istvan varga's sources. i do have Xwindows
installed but i didn't have fltk at that time. there was no configure or
anything, so i just had to edit the Makefile by hand commenting out all
references to fltk. i'm not a programmer, i guess my solution was rather
crude, but it worked. once, after a fresh build of linux from scratch, i
tried to compile csound before installing X and i had to do similar
trimmings in the Makefile. it worked, it was then that i realized that
csound depends on X more than i could have suspected.

2) now i'm using canonical again. (after a long interchange of harsh
emails between istvan and the "official" developers, he definitely
disappeared from the scene, and his sources and binaries with him). i even
installed fltk to be able to see these knobs and sliders everyone's
hollering about. but ffitch's makefile didn't work for me, only when
steven yi posted a modified makefile to the csound list (20030704) i was
successful. the binaries also work, but with my binaries i get about
10-15% faster performance.

i'm talking about csound 4.23f04 at sourceforge.

good luck,

lj