[linux-audio-user] filesystem performance

Subject: [linux-audio-user] filesystem performance
From: LinuxMedia (linuxmedia4_AT_netscape.net)
Date: Sun Aug 03 2003 - 14:49:46 EEST

Greetings,

I remember some talk a while ago about different filesystems and their
performance. All my partitions are formatted as reiserfs and I get
terrible performance. I've done tons of tests, bought a 7200 RPM drive,
bought more ram, worked with buffer sizes... So I'm assuming that I need
to format my drive as another filesystem.

I also put the following entry in fstab:

none /tmp tmpfs defaults 0 0

I understood this as putting /tmp in ram? I'm getting such poor
performance that I actually move my sound files in /tmp and work out of
it while doing multitracking.

Could anyone tell Me what the conclusion was about what is the best
filesystem for these kinds of heavy recording loads?

Thanks,
Rocco