Re: [linux-audio-user] [ot] places for open music?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] [ot] places for open music?
From: James Cameron (quozl_AT_us.netrek.org)
Date: Wed Aug 06 2003 - 06:34:03 EEST

Robert Jonsson quoted:
> [...] ``This song is Copyrighted in U.S., under Seal of
> Copyright # 154085, for a period of 28 years, and anybody caught singin it
> without our permission, will be mighty good friends of ourn, cause we don't
> give a dern. Publish it. Write it. Sing it. Swing to it. Yodel it. We wrote
> it, that's all we wanted to do.''
> --Pete Seeger, June 1967 "

That's excellent.

Something I keep pushing against is the myth that "stuff that is copyright
can't be copied." You get this myth in libraries and schools, and
allegedly from the RIAA. It is a gross simplification.

The more correct form is "stuff that is copyright can't be copied unless
the copyright owner says you can."

The essense of the GPL is that copyright is retained, and permission is
granted. That Pete Seeger license is a very early form of the GPL. ;-)

--
James Cameron    mailto:quozl_AT_us.netrek.org     http://quozl.netrek.org/