Re: [linux-audio-user] ALSA/kernel 2.6.0-test3

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] ALSA/kernel 2.6.0-test3
From: Frank Barknecht (fbar_AT_footils.org)
Date: Wed Aug 13 2003 - 11:30:45 EEST

Hallo,
Atte André Jensen hat gesagt: // Atte André Jensen wrote:

> 1) I didn't do any configuration of ALSA. Is that needed? If so how do I
> do it now that ALSA is compiled in?

I think, that ALSA normally still builds as modules. It depends on
your setup, but I would build modules. Then you just configure it like
old alsa, but I think the file locations have changed in 2.6, i.e. no
/etc/modules.conf anymore. It should be explained in modules.txt or
such in the Documentation folder. Sorry for this vague info, but I'm
still running a 2.4 kernel.

> 2) Where can I expect my devices to show up? For now I have an onboard
> soundcard (i810) and the Evolution keyboard. I would like to route the
> incomming midi to csound, but later also to either Muse or Rosegarden4.
> Is that a matter of having the softsynth or sequencer read from
> /dev/midi00 (or somthing like that)? And do I simply tell the sound
> generating software to direct its output to the appropriate device, say
> /dev/audio?

Software that uses the ALSA sequencer (RG4, MusE) should need no
further tools, but for software, that uses raw-midi devices (Ardour,
Csound) you need a virmidi-device and route with aconnect. See the
Midi-Howto or the Softsynth-Sequencer-Quicktoot for that.

> 4) What would be a nice program use for figuring out what midi-events
> the knobs on the Evolution sends?

As mentioned, Pd does this. YOu don't even need to learn Pd: Just open
the "Test audio and midi" help file from the Pd menu.

ciao