Re: [linux-audio-user] ALSA/Evolution USB keyboard

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] ALSA/Evolution USB keyboard
From: Clemens Ladisch (clemens_AT_ladisch.de)
Date: Thu Aug 14 2003 - 19:21:04 EEST

Atte André Jensen wrote:
> I can't produce a working .asoundrc myself.

Currently, there isn't much to be configured for MIDI device plugins,
so you don't need an .asoundrc for your keyboard.

> I run debian/unstable so there's no such thing as
> /etc/modules.conf. It's was /etc/modutils/alsa, but now I moved it
> out of the way. Instead I figured I'd start with ~/.asoundrc,
> since I believe they should be the same.

modules.conf has nothing to do with the ~/.asoundrc file. The former
tells modprobe how to load modules and where to find them, the latter
tells ALSA about user-defined plugins.

> But I cannot make *any* program recieve midi from the Evolution
> USB keyboard.
>
> Here's what shows up in /var/log/messages when I plug in the Evolution:
> Aug 13 23:37:05 aarhus kernel: usb-midi: Found MIDISTREAMING on dev 0a4d:008e, iface 1
> [atte_AT_aarhus atte]$ cat /proc/asound/cards
> 1 [keyboard ]: USB-Audio - MK-249C USB MIDI keyboard
> Evolution Electronics Ltd. MK-249C USB MIDI keyboard at usb-0000:00:03.1-2

The log messages are from the OSS usb-midi driver. /proc/asound/cards
shows that ALSA's snd-usb-audio is loaded. You now have two drivers
trying to access the same device.

Please add the following lines to the /etc/hotplug/blacklist file to
prevent the OSS drivers from loading:

audio
usb-midi

HTH