Re: [linux-audio-user] Animatronic parrot solution?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Animatronic parrot solution?
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Aug 18 2003 - 23:29:47 EEST

Cool project :)

On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 08:29:44PM +0200, Robert Jonsson wrote:
> > Can anyone suggest a suitable Linux solution for this parrot? I was
> > thinking about ecasound combined with a pitch shift plugin, if one
> > exists. If the solution could run entirely in RAM (CD booting,
> > perhaps?) then that would solve the problem of hard disk reliability.
>
> Any of the shelf distro would probably suffice. For reliability I would
> propose using a Flash disk. fast, small, clean, reliable, inexpensive.
> There are heaps of small, cheap motherboards these days that have built in
> sound so that won't be a problem.

Flash disks wear out much quicker than HD's do. I would go with a normal
IDE HD and set it to spin down under power management.

> It would probably be easiest to do a small c program which utilized some
> ladspa plugins for the pitchshift, probably noise gate and, possibly the
> delay.

Yup, you could knock up something with ecasound and some sort of scripting
language (I think there are perl and python bindings).

Alternativly pd would be a good coice, or writing a jack client in C would
be pretty easy if you can find a volunteer.

- Steve