Re: [linux-audio-user] New To List

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] New To List
From: Mark Knecht (markknecht_AT_comcast.net)
Date: Wed Aug 20 2003 - 06:31:53 EEST

On Tue, 2003-08-19 at 20:20, Chris Share wrote:
> Hi,

Welcome

> After reading an article about Linux and music in Sound On Sound recently,
> I thought I'd take the plunge and begin moving my music studio to Linux.
> Currently I'm using an Athlon XP-based PC and a PowerMac 7600/200. The PC
> contains a Hoontech DSP24 Value card and an MPU-401 style MIDI interface
> that I put together myself. The Mac contains a Yamaha SW1000 card and an
> Opcode MIDI interface. My main music software is Cubase, although I've used
> tons of other music software over the years.

Sounds familiar!

> The main programs I'm interested using are Rosegarden and Ardour, although
> I'm also interested in looking at some of the softsynth stuff too.

Great programs to start with. Having shosen them you seem to know about
Jack at this point, so that's good.

> I work as a technical writer and have written some music software for Mac
> and PC (CS1 Background Edit) so I'm fairly computer literate. However, I
> have no experience with Linux.
>
> Initially, I installed Debian on my PC, however it didn't get along with my
> TFT monitor. I've since bought Red Hat 9.0. Which I'm just about to
> install. Hopefully it will be a bit easier to use!

Much easier, in the sense that you have a really great resource at your
service - Planet CCRMA - totally easy to bring up all of these apps in a
single evening using the service that Standford and Fernando provide.

http://ccrma-www.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/

> Before I begin the installation I was wondering if someone could fill me in
> on the current state of ALSA. I've had a quick look at some of the How-Tos
> however I'm not clear on how up-to-date they are.

Alsa will be installed for you under the Planet flow. Fernando keeps it
quite up to date.

> I'm currently looking at getting a new soundcard--the Hoontech was really
> only a temporary measure to get sound out of the PC. Unfortunately, it
> seems that the SW1000 won't ever be supported so it's not much use.
>
> I'd like a card with balanced 24-bit analog I/O and SPDIF I/O. The MiaMIDI
> card seems to have these features. Does anyone have experience with this
> card on a Linux system?
>
> I also thought that a Delta66 would be suitable too.

I'll let others help you there. I'm using RME cards, but I use external
A/D-D/A

Best of luck. It's a fun, but brave new world.

Cheers,
Mark