Re: [linux-audio-user] New To List

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] New To List
From: kevin ernste (kevinernste_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Aug 20 2003 - 07:08:40 EEST

> > I'm currently looking at getting a new soundcard--the Hoontech was
> really
> > only a temporary measure to get sound out of the PC. Unfortunately,
> it
> > seems that the SW1000 won't ever be supported so it's not much use.
> >
> > I'd like a card with balanced 24-bit analog I/O and SPDIF I/O. The
> MiaMIDI
> > card seems to have these features. Does anyone have experience with
> this
> > card on a Linux system?
> >
> > I also thought that a Delta66 would be suitable too.
>
> I'll let others help you there. I'm using RME cards, but I use
> external
> A/D-D/A

Mark is right on here about PlanetCCRMA, Fernando keeps a very clean
shop and he is also an excellent source of help when you need it...and
you will need it :)

I have used various M-audio cards under Linux and found them to be
rather foolproof. In our studio we have two machines with 1010's and
one with an OmniStudio (Delta 66 plus I/O box) that run flawlessly.
Cards like these with the envy24 chipset also have a nice envy24control
panel which gives you access to mixer levels, clock source select,
sampling rate, route selection, etc, everything the M$/Mac version does
(your Hoontech card might also have the envy24 chip? I know the
Soundtrack DSP 24 does).

Another box (dual boot laptop) has an RME HDSP Multiface which I have
not used under Linux for a while, but there have been some exciting
recent developments for this card, including a TotalMix clone (see
RME's page). It might be worth checking into.

Kevin

=====
"I should prefer this note not be read or, if skimmed, that it should be forgotten." - Mallarme