Re: [linux-audio-user] how to invest sensible to get more stability for JACK

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] how to invest sensible to get more stability for JACK
From: Jack O'Quin (joq_AT_io.com)
Date: Wed Aug 20 2003 - 20:07:08 EEST

Hartmut Z Noack <symposion_AT_onlinehome.de> writes:

> 2.)Many xruns, (some after 2 seconds, others after 2 mins, mostly within
> 40 secs or so - sometimes i had testrecordings of unbroken 10 minutes)
>
> I use Ardour on SuSE 8.2 pro with jack0.74 as root only on runlevel 3 in
> Windowmaker, all networking is off, no kdeinit is running.
>
> System is:
> Athlon XP 1800, 512MB DDR, 60GB Samsung HD/IDE, Terratec EWX 24/96
>
> I think about
> wether i buy another IDE-HD and spread the installation on 2 disks to
> get more bandwith
> or getting another 512 RAM to let Jack run without HD
> or investing in a SCSI-HD for installation and Projects and using the
> IDE-Disk for Archiving only.

I doubt your problem is hardware. My system is similar to yours:
Athlon XP 1800+, 256MB DDR, EIDE disk, M-Audio Delta-66; yet it runs
JACK reliably down to about -p64 (even -p32 but with some overruns).

Check your hdparms. But, most of all I recommend making sure you're
running the low latency kernel patches. This is essential. The JACK
FAQ has some useful instructions...

  <http://jackit.sourceforge.net/docs/faq.php#a5>

Regards,

--