RE: [linux-audio-user] was "New To List "--JACK totalmix

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-user] was "New To List "--JACK totalmix
From: R Parker (rtp405_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Aug 21 2003 - 01:21:21 EEST

--- kevin ernste <kevinernste_AT_yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Chris Share wrote:
> >
> > Jack as nothing more than an audio
> > router, coupled with the mixing and clock control
> I get from Thomas
> > Charbonnel's hdspmixer and hdspconf male it almost
> magical for me.
>
> The HDSP mixer (TotalMix) is an amazing little tool,
> allowing you to
> control levels/signal path to and from any arbitrary
> (or all
> simultaneously) inputs, outputs, etc.
>
> But why not have this functionality for every ALSA
> supported card via a
> JACK totalmix client based on Thomas' hdspmixer
> code?

I wonder if interfaces like envy24control and total
mix are lower level than jackd. I don't really know
but am guessing that a generic mixer would be an alsa
tool--amixer + gui.

I haven't thought about it much but I view the
hardware mixerstrip level fader as being synonymous
with the "trim" on a traditional mixer. If an external
device generates test tone 0db then use hardware mixer
to adjust relative hardware port to 0db.

Subsequently a DAW mixer is configured to route N
sources to the relative hardware port which is
configured to something that's thought to be 0db.
Ultimately enabling many signals of various decibal
levels to be routed through one or more hardware ports
that have constant gain.

> Mixer strips would represent available hardware
> routes by default, but
> strips could be added and subtracted as new clients
> are started,

Assuming that I'm correct about the intended purpose
of hardware mixers, then your idea mixes client routes
into a common interface with hardware ports. I'm
thinking that on a basic and simple level the problem
with this is demonstrated when you begin to use the
hardware mixer to adjust level. For example, if more
than one application routes playback to hardware
capture ports 1,2 then adjusting the hardware capture
1,2 port level will cause all application playback
sources to be adjusted. Of course that's a management
problem that a DAW mixer is designed to control.

Anyway, I just quickly read your letter and probably
missed your point entirely. Hope I didn't create extra
confusion for anyone but me--as if it's possible to
prevent myself from being confused. :)

ron

just