RE: [linux-audio-user] Linux/ALSA/Jack latency tests

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-user] Linux/ALSA/Jack latency tests
From: Mark Knecht (mknecht_AT_controlnet.com)
Date: Thu Aug 21 2003 - 19:03:53 EEST

> Do we have any tools that will actually test latency? For instance, I
> suppose I could send a signal output of an ADAT port and record it coming
> back in on another ADAT port and measure by hand, but that's sort of labor
> intensive. Any other ideas? I'd be happy to take some measurements if we
> have an agreed upon method for doing it.

As my machine is dual boot and Audacity runs on Windows, it would be nice to
just use Audacity to make some measurements in both environments as that
would be a very direct comparison. Unfortunately the Windows environment is
Win ME, so I think this limitation would raise objections from folks who
want to favor Windows. They'll say we should test XP.

I should have mentioned that with a PlanetCCRMA low-latency kernel on a
previous machine I was able to run an RME card consistently at approximately
2mS latency without xruns using Jack, where as the same machine running Win
ME had to run at least 12mS to not have noticeable clicks and pops.

- Mark