RE: [linux-audio-user] MusE: Jack or Alsa

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-user] MusE: Jack or Alsa
From: Mark Knecht (mknecht_AT_controlnet.com)
Date: Fri Aug 22 2003 - 22:13:59 EEST

> I have just installed the Planet on my linux partition and have
> started in to reading the jack and alsa user documentation.
>
> I want to do some basic composition and aranging in midi. I was
> thinking that I would use MusE with Fluidsynth and various
> soundfonts. At this point I am not trying to input any external
> signals from guitars, hardware synths, mics, etc.
>
> I noticed that MusE gives an option to use Alsa only or to use
> Jack (which I assume would be in combination with Alsa as a
> driver). Any opinions whether it is worth going to the trouble
> of learning to use jack with MusE to import, modify, create and
> playback midi tracks?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Barton

Barton,
   First, jack is very easy to use from a user's point of view, so that
should not be a problem if you find you need it.

   Frankly, for what you are suggesting you want to start out doing (just
FluidSynth) I would not bother with Jack immediately, but if you find
yourself needing more than one soft synth, then using Jack is a very easy
way to do it.

Cheers,
Mark