Re: [linux-audio-user] digital i/o

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] digital i/o
From: RTaylor (ricktaylor_AT_speakeasy.net)
Date: Mon Aug 25 2003 - 08:10:53 EEST

> On Sun, 2003-08-24 at 07:15, luis jure wrote:
> > hello friends,
> >
> > i'm searching for a card with just digital i/o to connect to an external
> > converter. budget is critical. one possibility we've thought of is the
> > dio2448, but i've seen also the edirol UA-1D USB:
> >
> > http://www.edirol.com/products/info/ua1d.html
> >
> > i couldn't find it in the list supported by alsa, but perhaps it's because
> > it's still new. any comments on this? any other suggestion in that price
> > range?

 New Dios are 24/96 http://www.midiman.com/products/m-audio/dio2496.php
 ...and they have an optical connect. {Whether it's supported or not...}

 Audiophiles seem to have dropped in price a bit:
 http://www.midiman.com/products/m-audio/audiophile.php

 {I'm sure you can find them both at a much lower price and I doubt you
 can fault the sound.}

 Terratecs cards use the same chip, are supported, etc...

 http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=030824220601066092132254416194/g=rec/search/d=tp?q=terratec

 It looks like the Mia's gotten support {Major + for linux sound}. Great
 sound... Mia's been discontinued... you can still find them pretty easy.

 http://space.virgilio.it/g_pochini_AT_virgilio.it/ea.html

 You might check into the whole line.
 http://www.echoaudio.com/Products/Mia/index.php ~200.oo

 http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/search/src=00633/g=home?q=echo+mia

 On another hand. The motherboard I'm using comes with spdif in and out,
 an ac97 codec, 6 channel sound, built in midi, firewire and USB2 {and
 smartcards, lan, raid, largish bus, etc}. Sound is excellent, setup is
 automatic under both Debian and RH9, it runs about $125-150 and the
 machine took me about 45 minutes to build. It's only 16 bit though.

 http://tw.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_GA-7VAXP%20Ultra.htm

 Turtle beach has some cheapish cards and they had absolutely flat response
 1o years ago. http://www.turtlebeach.com/site/products/santacruz/producthome.asp
 {I'm not sure what your budget looks like.} I have a Santa Cruz... It's
 supported under alsa {with hardware mixing} It sounds really good... It's only
 16 bit.

 You might be able to find a cheapish Yamaha somewhere... It looks like most of
 them are supported.

 http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/