RE: [linux-audio-user] Drone generation through MIDI, how would you do it

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-user] Drone generation through MIDI, how would you do it
From: Mark Knecht (mknecht_AT_controlnet.com)
Date: Tue Aug 26 2003 - 20:41:07 EEST

> Now I want to be able to play drone sounds while I am playing my keybaord
> (or my wooden flute called bansuri).

This is not a solution for you (as far as I know) but this sample library is
simply wonderful for exactly what you are trying to do. He uses VERY long
samples, many of them 1-2 minutes long, with great textures that vary over
time very nicely. I use it for exactly the sort of playing you are talking
about except I'm on guitar or another synth using voice and noise samples.

One thing I find valuable that might be important later is that it makes
lots of sense to layer together the same drone but starting at different
times, or layer together different octaves of the same sound for more
texture.

He did at one time supply some shorter example drones on his web page.
GigaSampler can extract wave files from gig files, so there are
possibilities for playing the sounds even if you don't use GigaStudio. I
think Chicken Systems can also extract wave files from gig files, but I
haven't tried that in a long time. Chicken Systems did have a demo version,
or maybe you know someone with a copy.

http://www.audiomidi.com/common/cfm/product.cfm?Product_ID=3066

Sorry for not having a more complete Linux based solution. I just wanted to
chime in since I really like doing the exact same thing.

Cheers,
Mark